12.01.2008

oooh. aaah.



My children {and by children I mean the boys because the girl was too tired and it was cold and she needed to make sure the comfy chair didn't fly up off the floor and hit the ceiling } spent Saturday evening putting up my Holiday lights. I helped when and where they needed but for the most part just stayed back and let them do their thing. I LOVE what they created for me. The yard/house looks very festive and when the lights dance to the music it makes me happy.

The kid and I are fine tuning the display with some awesome looking LED lights and I heard rumour last night that one more trip to procure additional lights is necessary. LOL! That is ALL him as I have told him I am finished with my holiday lights purchases for this year.

Last night while we were fine tuning we observed the neighbors outside surveying their house/yard and discussing how they should decorate. {They have a nativity scene in a window but nothing else} The kid and I discussed what they might be saying. "Gosh. The new people are putting us to shame. We had BEST get some lights up."

This morning as I put together this posting I can see and hear them attaching lights to the eaves. I don't think they are having as much fun as we had putting up our lights. They probably need some tunes and stiff drink. tee hee.

QOTD:
Do you light up your house for the holidays? Have you ever either been put to shame or put the neighbours to shame in the whole lighting up the house situation?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not put up outside lights the past couple of years because I have been to busy to enjoy them.

We have won the neighborhood lighting contest a couple of times. and came in second to our immediate neighbor. We would pool all the gift money and go to the neighbor's in-laws bar and drink it up :-)

One year we agreed to wait until dinnertime on Thanksgiving to turn them on but he turned his on early so I ran out in the yard and threw (literally) up some extra lights on the shrubs. He did like wise. It was grand fun. We used to laugh and joke about how we spent over $300 in electric bills to win $150 between the two of us which we used to party instead of pay the bill LOL

~R

Anonymous said...

Our lighting has been abysmal... guess why... until I took it upon myself to design and direct and PAY someone to get the lights up. Haven't decided yet about this year. Will see if the daughter's BF offers himself up... but putting lights up with snow on the roof or while it is raining is a challenge.
LOL
T

I do like your display ... very nicely done!

Like the blackness of your page too,.,,, festive in a creative way!
T

Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, we used to have a war of lights with the people across the street whose son went to school with my brother - all in good fun, but it's something to see what only could be described as almost no less than a sunrise coming from the middle of this suburban street.

not to mention the homemade XMas carolers and Santa and reindeer my sister pained out of plywood cutouts. Had we stayed in the house one more year, she would have painted a life-size BUMBLE!!! OMG - it was CRAZY!!! But fun!