12.14.2008

Unfortunate.


After a cold and dreary day yesterday I decided to give a new soup a try. I am always on the lookout for a good broccoli soup that doesn't taste like ass bad. I opened up a carton of the V-8 Broccoli soup that I had bought a few weeks back and poured it into the pan. Smelled good. Didn't look too unappealing. Cool. Heated the soup through after giving it a splash of milk for a creamier consistency. Tasted. Not bad. Added a little sea salt and black pepper as it was a bit on the bland side for my taste. Yummy. I would will totally buy this again.

As I was cleaning up the dishes the empty pan was sitting on the counter. The kid comes in. Picks up a nerf dart that the cats play with {as does he. It is not uncommon to find it stuck to the ceiling lights or the tv on any given day} and tosses it towards the cupboard right above the pan hoping it will stick. You know where this is going. Yep. It hit the cupboard, bounced and landed in the pan with bits of soup still in it. HA! We both cracked up and said, almost in unison, "well THAT'S unfortunate."


I love that kid. He is a bright light in my day. I have cleaned off the dart and it is now back on the floor. Well, until he comes in here and picks it up and throws it again, causing it to stick to who knows what next.

QOTD:
What can you tell us about your last unfortunate food situation?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least the dart won't taste like ass.

Now let's see. With the recent electricity snafu, I had to toss a number of food items. Part of it was bad; part was good. The good was that I now have a clean refrigerator and was able to rid myself of a number of old items. The bad. of course, was tossing out things that otherwise had not reached their normal date of spoilage. So that's a mixed bag.

One food situation I always find unfortunate is the pot luck lunch at work. If you don't play, you are considered a snob. If you do play, you have to deal with inferior food products. Hey. I guess I am a snob. But then, the creature has every right to be a snob. The creature generally brings in the best dish whether it be my saucy chicken or my broccoli salad.

And now to the electricity update. We have this weird situation whereby our apartment complex is served by more than 1 grid. This trickles down to the building level. I called the apartment office yesterday and found this to be the case. Some people have heat and no lights. Some have lights and no heat. Some have power on one wall and not the other. So as I sit, I have lights, TV, but still no heat. The scuttlebutt is that electricity should be fully restored today. Please...please...I cannot take another night with a soft mattress!

Anonymous said...

I am still figuring out the recipes with the bread maker. I have had some good starts on cinammon buns only to have them get burnt in the oven.. too high heat, too much sugar and things got a tough chewy... not the texture one looks for in cinnamon buns.

Last week I bought a whole chicken to make soup. I put it in the fridge and forgot to make soup for a couple of days. When I finally took the bird out of the fridge I wasn't sure I should cook it. But I got out the stock pot and got things going. In the end.. though it smelled a little off... nothing worse than chicken that is off. I decided I had to throw out a whole pot of soup plus a cooked bird. Given that I have an immuno suppressed kid to deal with - no point in feeding her a bird with possible contamination hoping to help with her cold. It would be too risky.

then there's the time I tried making cupcakes and put marshmallows in the batter before cooking it. That turned out seriously unfortunate.

T

Anonymous said...

Luke: "Unfortunate that I know the truth???"

Yoda: "No! Unfortunate that you must face him [Dath Vader - your father] to complete your training..."

Pretty unfortunate... But I guess it turned out ok in the end (did I spoil it for you? LOL) :-)


But me, it's unfortunate that I must put an automatic shutoff valve on my new water heater before I will be allowed to close on my mortgage refinance...

Anonymous said...

my most recent unfortunate food incident involves some uninvited guests. Near as I can tell, and I don't want to check too closely so as not to upset the young lady who house sits for me, is that the door to the garage wasn't completely latched on her way out to school. When the furnace kicked on next it sucked the door open and a couple of mice migrated from the garage to the house.

At one point, I noticed mouse droppings in the crumb tray of the toaster. Makes perfect sense since those are pizza sized bits for a mouse. I got rid of them and cleaned the tray. A day later I popped a bagel into the toaster and ate it on my way to work. The following evening as I was checking around (I have trapped two mice) I noticed two turds in the bottom of the toaster again. I once again cleaned it out then realized... there is NO way for a mouse to get in from the bottom. That means they crawled down from the top. ew, ew, ew

There have been no new signs since trapping the second mouse. The toaster has been wiped down inside and out with a lysol wipe and run on high several times.

I guess since I lived from the bagel on the way in to work there is nothing to worry about. Still, this mornings bagel was... shall we say just a bit more difficult to consume.

~R

Anonymous said...

I hate meeces to pieces! shudder!
t