12.02.2008

♫♪♫♪♫♪


If you glance to the sidebar you will notice {if you haven't before} that there is a song waiting to be played and enjoyed. It has been my practice to change the song when the mood hits me. This month I am going to share with you some of my favorite holiday music.
Yesterday's song was Linus and Lucy by the Vince Guaradlti Trio.
Today's song is Dona Nobis Pacem by Yo-Yo Ma, a brilliant and delightful Cellist. Dona Nobis Pacem, a Latin song, most often sung as a round, translated means Give Us Peace. The words are from a Latin Mass. The round dates back to the 16th century.

I hope you enjoy as much as I do.

QOTD:
What do you enjoy listening to during the holidays? Do you have a favorite song you would like to share with us?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for Linus and Lucy. I've wanted to add that to my collection forever and never got around to figuring it out. MUCh appreciated.
My latest favourites for the holidays is pretty much anythjing by the TransSiberian Orchestra. Their music is a little rock and a lot Christmas in an edgy kind of way with such a lush sound to it. It must be played LOUDLY.
Today's piece is lovely. Ma is brilliant!

thank you. (-:
HUGS
Ter

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't know where to begin...
I have a lot of favorites.

My mom always seemed to be humming Greensleeves when she did chores. As you know this is also the melody used for What Child Is This. The other day I was out in the garage and the man-child asked if I was humming Christmas songs (cuz it was before Thanksgiving and blondie doesn't do Christmas songs before then I was told :-) Obviously, I picked up that habit of mom's.

I think my favorite Christmas song is God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen in all its renditions from the truer middle eastern flavored to the contemporary like Mannheim Steamroller or Trans-Siberian Orchestra. I especially like how the latter use it as a base in the round flavored A Star To Follow.

I have so much Christmas music I can scarcely fit it all in one season. I listen to everything from classics to country to rock flavored Christmas songs. I have a better play selection than most radio stations that do "All Christmas music programming".

~R

Anonymous said...

Twisted Sister - Christmas Album - It's WONDERFUL - they do Adeste Fidelis to the tune of We're not Gonna Take It. Plus, Dee is a piesano from my neck of the woods in NY. I especially like the Hava Nagilah ending (I mean Dee is Jewish after all!) Video is terrific!!!! see for yourself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De47fjH6RKY

Compare to the original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs37NSLy3z4&NR=1