12.18.2008

We're Gonna Die.


We are. Seriously. The desert rats experienced their first cold weather yesterday. SNOW. Yes. We had snow.
The weather bounced between snowflakes and rain for hours but finally left a little dusting of snow. We were cold but nothing could keep us from heading outside a couple times to just watch curiously.

It had been dark for a couple of hours when I looked out the window and saw it. SNOW. I mean really snowing. No rain. Just snow. Fluffy. Gently dancing its way down to land soundlessly. I called to the kid who came to see and immediately ran to put on whatever warm clothes he could come up with and encouraging me to do the same. I did.

We headed out back and just stood for a moment taking in the beauty of it all. Snow falling around him was a first for the kid who has seen already fallen snow maybe twice in his Desert-City-Dweller's life. He was mesmerized and I enjoyed listening to his joyous excitement. Eventually he began to wander around the backyard, flashlight in hand, to explore what wonderful sights the freshly falling snow was offering us. I heard numerous times *This is SO cool!!!*


He made his very first snow angel last night {above} and of course, we made a *snowman*. I use the term snowman loosely. The photograph below is all the explanation you might need to understand why. LOL!


Today it is sunny and the snow is slowly melting. Granted, our snow amount is nothing compared to what most, if not all of you have seen and will see. But for the two freezing desert rats the experience we had caused us to squeal in delight. Even as I write this post I have a big grin on my face as I recall the fun we had last night exploring our very first real winter weather together.

QOTD:
When was the last time you took the time to create a snowman or make a snow angel?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome that you and the kid had so much fun.

We left AK on an Air Force duty transfer when the kids were 1 and 2 and we ended up in MD. There, like your new home, if a rare snow lasted more than 2 days it was a miracle. It was so funny when we moved back up to AK - they were in such a rush to get out to play in the snow because they just *knew* it was going to melt away soon. LOL We had a record snowfall that winter and there were still mounds of snow well into May that year.

I can't remember the last time I made a snowman or snow angel. I love watching the malamutes romp in new snow. Then I fire up the snowblower and get to work LOL

Come on up in July and less than 10 miles from my house we can have a snowball fight (or build a snowman)

~R

Anonymous said...

I thin for most of those of us on this site, snow is a fact of life :-)

I haven't made a snow angel this year, nor a snowman, nor a snow fort or igloo.

Mostly because those are things I did with my boy and he's just not around to do them with. So, with any luck, it won't snow so horribly here and I can get on that plane to NY to see him - and when I get there, maybe there's just enough snow to do it. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

dear Anon... hope you get to make your snow man...
not too pleasant being so far from your kid...

I haven't made a snow angel in some time... if you don't go up to the frozen heavens to visit our Rudy... perhaps I can persuade you to come east and north for a visit. We - me and Lily will take you out for a skate on our canal then we'll eat beaver tails and then we'll go to a classy joint and drink cosmos or some other grown up drink and watch the kids flirt with each other..
and talk about kids... though this is probably a story for my blog..
I was at the youngest daughter's dance show at school.. she takes dance as a course and the show is the exam. The nisuc is mostly hi[p hop, jazz and current stuff.. with a few modern classic bits thrown in... then at intermission what comes blasting from the speakers... Immigrant Song Led Zeppelin - and the kids are ALL SINGING THE WORDS!!!! so... I start to sing along and am getting into it with this little 14 yr old who is amazed that I KNOW THE WORDS!!! LOL... the ironic part? When LZ first was on the scene and the DJ tried to play anything by them at one of our school dances.. one of the teachers tried to have it stopped ... too loud, too violent... My daughters of course are embarrassed as hell that I am singing... and the 14 yr old is sorta surprised that this band was seriously huge when I was her age.. I blew her mind.. LOL
nothing to do with snow angels.. but .. its a story. LOL Thought our Mr Anon could use a cheery thought... and I don't believe I've ever seen him over at Marie's blog.
T

Anonymous said...

I need to try to find the viking kittehs video with the Immigrant Song in the background. Awesome! LOL

Anonymous said...

Valhalla I am coming... LOL! Fantastic!

Yeah, isn't it amazing? Kids think THEY discovered good music! LMAO!!!

Thanks, T. One way or another, I'll always find a way to make snowmen... :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all of the fun reading this and I'm on my way out right now to make a snow angel...

Laugh T, the Immigrant song, geez, I was livng in Troi Riviers, PQ...and you think you rebel is a problem...LMAO...we almost got arrested by the military during the FLQ crisis....

hahahah,

Lily

ps, yes, I'd love to go skating on the canal this winter!