3.20.2011

Day 8

With class completed Rudy and I have time to do a little sightseeing. I wanted to go see the Casa Bonita of South Park fame for my kids who wanted photos and to see The Brown Palace Hotel where my parents stayed on their honeymoon in December of 1957.

After sleeping in a bit we fired up St. Brendan {our gps. St. Brendan is a Navigator Saint} and made our way to the Casa. Overpriced bad food and campy entertainment was the theme. The sopaipillas for dessert were quite yummy. We ate, watched the bad entertainment, took some photos, choose souvenirs for the dog sitter and the kid and beat feet out of there.

The haphazard parking that was taking place when we arrived at Casa Bonita had turned into quite the spectacle when we returned to our car. Gotta love a parking lot with no lines where people just pull in and stop where they please. *rolling eyes*

After a couple of wrong/missed turns because St. Brendan didn't speak up quickly enough I pulled out my iPhone and mapped our location. We discovered that we were very close to The Brown Palace and decided to put the car in a lot by the shopping and walk in.

We happily took a side trip into the bookstore as it is one of our favorite places to go and browsed for a bit before heading out in search of the Palace. We knew it was on a corner and a triangular shape and headed towards what appeared to be just that. Come to find out - it wasn't. WTF, people. That is just one too many triangular brown buildings in one small area. Turning around and heading to in the right direction we were soon at the Brown Palace.

We wandered in and looked around. I headed off to see if anyone would have some nice words and perhaps some sentimental souvenirs that I could bring back to my daddy. The desk clerk I spoke with was an ass and said he supposed he could offer me a couple of pens. He handed them to me and looked at me as if I should kiss his feet. Nice PR work there buddy. So not impressed and your boss will be hearing from me.

We did find a gorgeous photograph history book and a chocolate bar which I will be bringing to Daddy along with the pens. I am sure he will love them and I will keep the ridiculous treatment I received to myself rather than sully his memory of the place where he and his beloved wife spent their honeymoon.

Leaving the Brown Palace behind we realized that we were in need of a cup of coffee. {yeah yeah, so when am I not, eh? Well don't you judge me. tee hee} We grabbed some Starbucks and sat outside to people watch, rest and enjoy our drinks.

The rest of our afternoon was filled with stopping into The Hard Rock Cafe to get a couple of shot glasses {way too crowded/busy to even consider getting a drink}, a quick side trip to Panera for some baked goods for breakfast {they have a wickedly delicious orange scone} which will save us needing to get up and schlepp down to the overcrowded breakfast room and will allow for sleeping in. We came back to the room to relax but did go out one final time to the Village Inn for breakfast for dinner.

Back to the room for good found us surfing the web on our iPads using the fancy connection dealio that Rudy set up on his MacBook and flipping channels to find something to watch. And then he discovered Kill Bill Vol.1 was on.

Cut to 3 am where blondie is still awake because the morning person got super tired, powered through it and then looped around and couldn't sleep after Vol.2 of Kill Bill and Rudy snoring away.

Tomorrow -
Last day in Denver. Last day with Rudy. I hate this part. meh!

Happy Sunday.
love,
~ b

No comments: