3.09.2009

Do Not Burn.



I came across this photo today and it made me laugh. Not because of the burnt dinner but rather because my first beer was a Schlitz. I am not gonna say how old I was but I was far from legal. I wasn't cooking at the time either. Still brings a smile to my face as I close my eyes and am taken back.

I haven't a clue what my first legal beer was. It was probably a Michelob because that is what my X thought was good beer at the time. Today my beers of choice are Bass Pale Ale and Red Stripe. If you were to open my fridge today that is what you would find along with Rudy's Guinness.

For the record, I can't remember the last time I actually burned dinner. I try to keep a close eye on things when I am cooking or baking. I can, however, recall the last time I burned myself while baking. Last month as I was baking chocolate chip cookies for my men and trying to watch LOST at the same time. I was probably drinking too, but not Schlitz. I burned the fingers on one hand after grabbing the pan I was dropping. Sigh. Quick thinking and an ice pack {yeah yeah. I know. don't put ice on a burn.} kept me from blistering. YaY! P.S. The cookies were yummy, weren't they, darlin?

Q{s}OTD:
What was your first beer? What was your first legal beer? What beer is now your beer of choice? If I were to visit would it be stocked in your fridge?

QOTD2:
When was the last time you burned dinner?



When you're out of Schlitz,
you're out of Beer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. my first (whole) beer was probably Old Style. It is/was from a regional brewery. Go figure in a part of the country settled by German and Irish immigrants there would be lots of local breweries. The other one that relatives had on hand was Miller Lite cuz it was the new thing at the time. So I am guessing my first legal beer was either an Old Style or a Lite. Other beers around at the time were Schlitz, Hamm's, PBR, Red, White & Blue, Miller High Life.

BTW, the beach blanket I had when I was a teen had a huge Schlitz label on it. LOL

My current beer of choice varies but one staple is Guinness. You might find a bottle or two in the fridge but the rest will be sitting on a cool floor in the laundry room. For geek night I mix it up with seasonal brews and labels that are on sale that I haven't tried or had in a while. Last week was a Firehouse Blonde Ale

2. I don't recall the last time I burned a meal. I did have a bagel not too long ago that was a bit more crunchy than I preferred though.

~R

Anonymous said...

1a) Michelob.
1b) Fat Tire
1c) yes

2) A month ago I overcooked some rice. Outside of small occurrences like that, I don't make a habit out of burning dinner.

p.s., The poster seems a bit sexist to me.

Anonymous said...

Sexist by today's standards, yes. Back in the day, not so much. Back when this ad was produced a woman's place was in the kitchen making dinner and waiting for her loving husband to return from work. She would have been absolutely devastated having burned his dinner.

The focus was not on the political side of the poster but rather the memories brought about seeing the ad for a particular beer.

Anonymous said...

How'd I miss this post? I need an RSS feeder!

hmm first beer... while watching the Partridge Family in Lydia's basement (she is a loyal reader of Marie's blog) Labatt's BLUE I believe in the stubby bottles!

I was always a scotch drinker - rather than a beer drinker - Rusty Nails were my drink of choice when legal at age 19 - but I found them sweet so I ditched the sweet stuff and started on Scotch on ice.
In grad school in the Maritimes,when scotch was too expensive to drink, I learned to drink beer. in the Maritimes EVERYONE drinks beer - Keiths, Schooner, and Moosehead.
Now I drink mostly Creemore or Stella. I use Guiness for baking! (- :

better late than never?
t