5.24.2009

The Big Race.




For as far back as I can recall the Indy was the race to watch. I knew this because it is one of two sporting events that my Momma ever watched. {Tennis being the other} I believe that when she was a young girl her father was either involved with some type of car racing or was a race fanatic. She never truly elaborated and I never pushed for information as I got older. {Her father left her mother and the 4 girls when my momma was 14 and she truly never got over the pain.} I just knew that if the Indy was being raced it was on our TV and Momma was front and center.

As I got older and moved away I would often phone her at commercials to see if she was enjoying and listen to her discuss what had been seen thus far. I miss that.

This morning my TV is set, as it should be, to the race. I feel a bit melancholic as I watch. The memories are sweet. I guess that is what counts.


QOTD:
Are you watching? {Did you watch?}

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, there's my weekend fix :-)

No, not watching...

Anonymous said...

Nope. I don't watch. NASCAR is the big thing my my parent's house. One of my sisters lived in Speedway, IN so in that regard the 500 is a big deal. I think my dad watches it and it is the only race of those type of cars that he does watch.

He did get to go to the inaugural NASCAR race at the Indy track and several years thereafter.

My cubicle mate likes to watch horse racing and tennis. So I get updates from there LOL

I have in the past put golf on the tv so I could see green and sunshine in the middle of the winter. Now I go to blondie's house and see it in person. When we get outside that is LOL

and I love the timer at the top honey :-)

~R

Anonymous said...

No... I've never watched the INDY... the spouse was into NASCAR and I kind of was into it... but watching those cars round and round doesn't hold much appeal. I think live it would be a whole lot more fun - just like hockey or basketball or baseball games.
Ter

Anonymous said...

Ter,

I have actually been to a race. I was bored out of my mind. You get a much better view of the cars going around in a circle on TV than you do in the stands. The only saving grace during that race is that the X paid cash for a listing of the drivers frequencies so he could plug them into his hand held scanner. We could listen to whatever driver communicating with his team.

Given the choice, having experienced both, I would rather sit in my livingroom in my pjs and watch the race. YMMV.

~ b