10.07.2010

Little Friday.


This isn't my story but I found it to be quite endearing and thought I would share.
A very good friend of mine that used to live in our neighborhood and is happily married used to take time out once a week with his wife. We all had the same demands on our time, work, house, kids etc. Frank is a person who lives life to the fullest always and lives in the moment, I truly admire him, he is a real "life of the party" kind of guy.

He would make sure to help his W get the kids fed and to bed early or at least on time on Thursday nights. Once the kids were down, they would have a late dinner that he fixed for just the two of them. They would have a bottle of wine and unwind and talk to each other uninterrupted for a couple of hours at least once a week. They also put on music that took them to another place even though they never left the house. Sometimes they would talk, sometimes they would laugh, sometimes they would dance, sometimes they would just sit and listen to the music......together. Frank always said he and his wife liked to welcome the weekend a little early and thus the name "Little Friday."

Frank shared this practice with me a number of years ago and my W and I did this but did not quite grab the concept of maintaining the connection with each other. We made it more about a night to socialize during the week which is not bad but the point was to have uninterrupted "quality" time with your spouse.

I have now made it the one day a week I give to myself, a day to recognize that life is good and it is good to be alive. For me sometimes I want to be alone, sometimes I want to have friends over, doesn't matter it is my day to be happy no matter what! A day of affirmation if you will. I like to put on music that takes me to a different place, for me I prefer to go to the Caribbean so I tend to lean towards that music that reminds me of being on vacation.
So what are you going to do for yourself today to welcome the weekend a little early?

Happy Little Friday, my dears!
*hugs*
~ b

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one is around, no money until tomorrow and no alcohol left (even the reserve Black Label is depleted!). So, Little Friday for me is just to enjoy this gorgeous 85 degree evening in beautiful not-so-downtown Greenville (I'll go when I have money this weekend).

Thanks for the post - missed it - are we having a Feat on proper Friday? I'm JUST asking ;-)

Anonymous said...

We could have a feast tomorrow IF people want it.

My Little Friday consisted of making tacos for dinner and enjoying them with my kid. oooh. And a very yummy margarita. And a cookie that looked like a candy corn. yummy!

~ b

Anonymous said...

p.s. I don't think that little Friday needs to include drinking. Enjoying the weather is a great way to celebrate Little Friday. I hope it was good.

~ b

Rudy said...

I am just treating symptoms tonight

Cuz I dot a toad.

Anonymous said...

aw. my poor honey. step up your vitamin C and go to bed early tonight. Like right after BBT is over.

ily
*kiss*

Anonymous said...

oh... missed this too. What did Ido? Had supper with the child, and read for a while before going to bed early. ( this getting up early thing.... not working well for me!) LOL

I like the idea T

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story!

My Friday night is tonight, so, quiet night making falafel, eggplant ratatouille and red wine to wash it down with. Lily on the other hand will be sleeping.

L